[ntp:questions] Re: NTP looses connection

m.marien mmATRiverCityCanadaDOTcom
Thu Oct 28 22:39:25 UTC 2004

"Frank Dohrmann" <f.dohrmann at arcor.de> wrote in message
news:417ffe6f$0$22621$9b4e6d93 at newsread4.arcor-online.net...
> Greetings!
>
> My xntpd synchronizes perfectly to a couple of time servers after being
> started. It chooses one server as reference and a couple of servers as
> candidates, so the configuration seems to be ok. However, after a while -
> say one or two days - it cannot connect to any server at all and falls
> back to localhost. Any remote server has a jitter of 4000.
>
> As xntpd seems to work for at least some hours or days, I don´t think that
> it is a problem of ntp.conf. But what else might cause the trouble?
>
> I´m running SuSE 9.0 with xntp 4.1.1-286 installed.
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
> Frank

I had a similar problem. I use a GPS source and a few stratum 2 servers for
checks. I also had a second NTP system and called it a peer in my ntp.conf
file. The second system only had stratum 2 servers as sources. The first
system would lose connections to all the servers after a while. I deleted
the peer source and it works fine now.