[ntp:questions] Re: NTP looses connection

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 29 12:19:11 UTC 2004

At 2:06 PM +0200 2004-10-29, Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>>  If you're directly connected to your DSL modem, then the IP
>>  address of your NTP server changes every time you re-connect.
>
>  Not on its internal interface, it doesn't.

	It depends on how you connect to your upstream provider.  I'm not
entirely up to speed on how PPPoE works, but my understanding is that
the DSL modem is really a modem, and the only IP address it ever gets
assigned to it is on the external interface, which the host has to be
aware of.

	This would be no different than running SLIP or PPP on a regular
analog modem.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755