[ntp:questions] Re: Stratum 1 or 2 authenticated servers?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 14:03:25 UTC 2004

Paul Croome wrote:

>mister.mandarino at bluemail.ch wrote in message news:<mailman.53.1098907351.72027.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>...
>

>>Are there OpenAccess stratum 1 or 2 authenticated servers around?
>>If yes, is there an accessible list? Where?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>See: http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome
>
>----
>Paul

The OP asked for AUTHENTICATED servers.  While the list at the URL you
cited does list public access servers, it does not address the question
of authentication.

I'd suggest picking a good set of servers from the list, testing them
for "goodness" and then asking the person responsible for the server if
he is willing to authenticate for you.  Authentication must be supported
by the software he is using and the server must have sufficient
computing capacity to handle the extra load.  It will consume some of
his time as well; there are procedures for key generation and exchange
and other setup that you must both do before authentication works.