[ntp:questions] Re: Good and cheap GPS receivers (was: Reference clocks - which?)

David J Taylor david-taylor at invalid.com
Sun Oct 31 08:19:14 UTC 2004

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
[]
> I certainly am a big fan of GPS's and think everybody should get one.
> I just have heard way too many horror stories about folks buying a gps
> for their computer room and then being horribly disappointed when it
> didn't work when they put the antenna near a window.  They seemed to
> expect it to be more like an am/fm radio where they could make it work
> by just moving it near a window.
>
> -wolfgang

The GPS needs to see signals that are overhead, rather than a radio which
needs to see signals which are coming from horizon (to simplify things).
You may get away with placing the antenna near the roof - mine is with an
active antenna near the ceiling of a top storey room.  A window with a
good sky view (120 degree aspect or more) may be OK.

Cheers,
David