[ntp:questions] Re: NTP looses connection

Frank Dohrmann f.dohrmann at arcor.de
Sun Oct 31 11:50:58 UTC 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:
[..]
>     Sorry, I have been informed that I was not correct when I said this.
>
>     If you use a DSL router, you don't need to stop and restart ntpd or
> do anything to your associations.  Since the local IP address should not
> have changed, when the connectivity is restored then the daemon should
> automatically pick up where it left off.
[..]

The box that runs ntpd acutally _is_ my DSL router. I placed a restart
of ntpd into my ip-up script and after watching this for some days I can
say that this solves my problem.

However, although I don´t have a clue how ntpd is coded or how network
communication is done at all, I find this fairly strange. Why do I have
to restart the application if the underlying network connection gets
lost for some seconds? Aren´t we talking about different osi layers that
should be independent?

Besides, I can hardly imagine to be the only guy using ntpd on a linux
box that works as a router to a dial-in network. In fact, if the
changing ip is the cause of my problem, I would expect this problem to
be fairly common.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,
Frank