[ntp:questions] ntpdc questions

Nagy Bela belus at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Sun Oct 31 15:55:21 UTC 2004

Hello!

So far, I found several good, public NTP servers, I can start ntpd,
I can delete (unconfig) servers (with ntpdc).

Now my problem is: If I specify a server with the following two lines
in ntp.conf, then how can I add it again (with ntpdc)?

server x.y.z.w minpoll 6 maxpoll 10
restrict x.y.z.w mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

Unfortunately, the online docs and the command line help in ntpdc
differs. E.g. ntpdc says that there is an addrefclock command and says
very little about it:
usage: addrefclock [ -4|-6 ] addr [ mode ] [ minpoll|prefer ] [ minpoll|prefer ]
In this case, what is "mode"? Why two minpoll?
Another example, the addserver itself:
usage: addserver [ -4|-6 ] addr [ keyid ] [ version ] [ minpoll|prefer ]
while the online html doc. states:
addserver peer_address [ keyid ] [ version ] [ prefer ]

But it works in some sense, but I'd like to tune it further.

How can I specify those two lines with ntpdc?
Where are up-to-date documentation for ntpdc?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
B.N.