[ntp:questions] Re: Running ntpd on user-mode Linux?

CBee I.Dont at want.your.spam
Thu Sep 30 13:00:13 UTC 2004

Tapio Sokura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone run ntpd inside a user-mode Linux or on any other "client"
> operating system that runs inside another OS? Does it work? Is the time
> on the host OS and all its client OSes always the same? So if I want to
> have accurate time in the client OS, is the only option to have the host
> OS run ntpd or some other time synchronization mechanisms? With host I
> mean the OS on the bottom that talks to the hardware and manages the
> client OSes that run on top of the host OS.
>
> I would have tried running ntpd inside user-mode Linux myself, but I
> don't have a spare computer to try this on at the moment.
>
>   Tapio

If the guest-os gets its time from the host-os then ntp is only needed at the host.

With user-mode linux I guess (no experience) that the time is obtained from the
host-os and gets direct into the guest os. Hence if the host is in sync, the
guest is too.

With VMWare I know there is (was in previous versions) a setting in the guest to
follow the time of the host or not. This only hooks the guests bios-time to the
hosts-os time. With M$Windows guests this is perfect: have the host sync with
the ntp server and all is in sync. With linux in the guest, it must sync the
guests-linux-time with the guests-bios-time where ntp can do its job (clock
127.127.1.0 or such).

Hence it depends how the time travels from the host-os to the guest-os. In the
end, ntp can suit some needs.

CBee