[ntp:questions] Setting up a Stratum in ntpd

Srikanth K srikanth.k at hp.com
Fri Apr 1 05:18:57 UTC 2005

I have a time-server ( connected to a trimble palisade GPS Receiver ). I
try to synchronise machine 'A' with the time server.
The entries in the ntp.conf file is :
server <time-server>

Machine 'A' selects the time-server for synchronisation and hence
updates its local clock.

Now i try to synchronise a third machine 'B' to Machine 'A' using
ntpdate. The command run is:
ntpdate <machine-A>

But i find that ntpdate rejects machine 'A' for synchronising since the
stratum of machine 'B' is 16. Hence machine 'B' will be rejected in
clock selection algorithm.

My question: Is there any way through which i can make the stratum value
of machine 'B' as 1 ?
If the information is already present in the questions list, kindly give
me pointers for the same.

Thanks in Advance,
-Srikanth K.