[ntp:questions] Re: CTS, Serial Port, and a Sun v210

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com
Tue Apr 5 13:26:10 UTC 2005

Stewart Pelegan wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I'm getting closer but....
>
> I was able to set the TrueTime box to 9600 bps, 8 data bits, and no
> parity, but there was no mention of the stop bits.  What should they be
> set to?
>
> I manually set the time on the TrueTime box to a week from now, hoping
> that once xntpd started, I'd see that everything was working properly.
> Well, I didn't get any errors, but the system time didn't change.  After
> reading some of the pages on the ntp sites, I'm thinking that maybe ntp
> threw out the TrueTime number because it was so much different than the
> current time.  Is there any way I can confirm this?  Is there any way I
> can make ntp set the system time to whatever it reads from the serial
> port, no matter how out of whack the numbers are?  I tried:
>
>         server 127.127.5.0 true
>
> and
>         tinker panic 0
>
> but that doesn't seem to work.
>
> On the ntp web sites, I saw some stuff on how log files are formatted.
> Here's what's in my clockstats file:
>
> $ cat clockstats
> 53464 67990.348 127.127.5.0 root
> 53464 68955.399 127.127.5.0 ps -ef
> 53464 68969.801 127.127.5.0 ps
> 53464 73888.070 127.127.5.0 read
>
> The first number is supposed to be a julian date.  When is the epoch day
> for this julian date?
>
> Also, is there any way I can confirm that data is being received on the
> serial port?

First, the epoch for the Modified Julian Date is Nov. 17, 1858. To
convert the MJD to unix time, take the MJD, subtract 40587 and
multiply by 86400.

Try this:

echo 0t`echo '53464 40587 - 86400 * p' | dc`=Y | adb

Second, the clockstats file contains the data as read by xntpd or ntpd
off of the device. It looks like it is getting a terminal session. Are
you sure that you have the right serial device open?

--
blu

If you put a submarine in a blender...