[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd config related problem

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 11:33:49 UTC 2005

Metal Gear wrote:

>Hi,
>i was trying to configure my ntpd server and was successful in that. My
>configurations was that my ntpd server got itself updated from internet and
>after that it broadcasted the time in local network as a result all local
>machines updated their times accordingly. I was successful in this attempt,
>but now i need a setup in which i do not want to update my ntpd servers time
>from internet instead i just want to set a time on ntpd server manually and
>all machines on my local network get themselves updated. I tried various
>configs but was unable to do so.
>
>Thanks
>
>The following config i used to update myself from internet and then
>broadcasting on local network
>
>server 209.132.176.4 <http://209.132.176.4/>
>server 209.132.176.4 <http://209.132.176.4/>
>
>driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
>broadcast 192.168.1.255 <http://192.168.1.255/>
>
>logfile /var/log/ntp.log

#
# Declare the local clock to be the clock of last resort.
# It will be used to serve time in the absence of any other.
#
server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Do not expect too much from this!  It's normally used to give you a few
hours of "hold over" if you lose your connection to an internet server.
Computer clocks are generally not as good as a cheap wristwatch.   Your
time will only be as close to accurate as you can set it by hand and you
will need to set it every few days.   Synchronization will not be as
close as if your master clock were disciplined by NTP.

Using NTP this way is rather like using a sports car to haul garbage!