[ntp:questions] NTP not synchronizing at all

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:35:43 UTC 2005

   I have two Linux boxes running ntp. Box A is running ntp version
4.2.0, on a 2.4.29 kernel, whereas box B is running ntp version 4.1.2,
on a 2.4.27 kernel. They both use the same ntp configuration file.

   Box B has no problems synchronizing against the ntp server that I
am using, whereas A is unable to do so. If I fire up ntpq on B, then I
can use the ntpq built-in commands without any problems - for
instance, the 'peers'  command returns the list of peers all right,
with all the other info that this command is supposed to print out.
However, if I launch ntpq on A the ntpq command 'peers' just times out
as follows:

   localhost: timed out, nothing received
   ***Request timed out

Indeed, just about every other ntpq command fails with the error message above.

   ntpd is running on A all right, as the ps command shows. In my
system logs, after launching ntpd I can see the following lines::

Apr  7 10:25:04 syr ntpd[1086]: ntpd 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r Mon Mar 29
22:23:49 PST 2004 (1)
Apr  7 10:25:04 syr ntpd[1086]: precision = 1.000 usec
Apr  7 10:25:04 syr ntpd[1086]: kernel time sync status 0040
Apr  7 10:25:04 syr ntpd[1086]: frequency initialized -10.000 PPM from
/etc/ntp/drift
Apr  7 10:28:17 syr ntpd[1086]: synchronized to LOCAL(0), stratum=10
Apr  7 10:28:17 syr ntpd[1086]: kernel time sync disabled 0041
Apr  7 10:29:20 syr ntpd[1086]: kernel time sync enabled 0001

   That's it. After this, no ntp-related output is printed out ever
again, until I restart ntpd by hand.

   Has anybody got any ideas so as to what might be going on? I used
to be able to run ntp without any problems on B, with older Linux
versions. Also, the ntpdate command works fine, in that it allows me
to do synchronizations by hand (when ntpd is not running) against my
ntp server of choice.