[ntp:questions] Serial Ports

Ramanathan Palaniappan ram at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 15 23:58:20 UTC 2005

Hi,
    I am having a problem trying to interface ntpd with a Truetime
GPS(560-5900) PCI card. The PnP BIOS automatically configures the I/O port and
IRQ for the PCI card at 0xd000 and 10 respectively during bootup.

I tried setting up a logical device /dev/ttyS2 with port 0xd000 and IRQ 10
using the "setserial" command. ( ttyS0 and ttyS1 were both configured by the h/w
at 0x3f8 and 0x2f8). Then, I rebooted the system to let the changes take place.
I also created a symbolic link /dev/true0 to point to /dev/ttyS2.

The changes were reflected in the /proc/tty/driver/serial file but still I
am unable to communicate with the device.  Can anyone help me ?

Thanks,
Ramanathan Palaniappan
Graduate Student
Computer Sciences Department