[ntp:questions] Re: Serial Ports

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 03:09:59 UTC 2005

Ramanathan Palaniappan wrote:

>Hi,
>    I am having a problem trying to interface ntpd with a Truetime
>GPS(560-5900) PCI card. The PnP BIOS automatically configures the I/O port and
>IRQ for the PCI card at 0xd000 and 10 respectively during bootup.
>
>I tried setting up a logical device /dev/ttyS2 with port 0xd000 and IRQ 10
>using the "setserial" command. ( ttyS0 and ttyS1 were both configured by the h/w
>at 0x3f8 and 0x2f8). Then, I rebooted the system to let the changes take place.
>I also created a symbolic link /dev/true0 to point to /dev/ttyS2.
>
>The changes were reflected in the /proc/tty/driver/serial file but still I
>am unable to communicate with the device.  Can anyone help me ?
>
>Thanks,
>Ramanathan Palaniappan
>Graduate Student
>Computer Sciences Department
>University of Wisconsin-Madison

Have you tried obtaining and reading the documentation for your card?

http://www.symmetricom.com/media/pdf/documents/ds-bc635-637pci.pdf

A quick look at the above suggests that you need special drivers for the
card and it does not mention any sort of serial port emulation!!!

If you can't make it work, I would be delighted to have it!!!!!!!!!