[ntp:questions] Re: a new NTP implementation (dntp)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Mon Apr 25 23:50:07 UTC 2005

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Look more carefully. NTPv3 (rfc1305) was and is only a draft standard,
> not a full standard. That is because I refused then and now to package
> the document in Postel ASCII. My grant supporting NTPv4 specification
> now in progress specifically states that my contribution will not
> require Postel ASCII. All other standards bodies known to me prefer
> standards publication in PDF, which is the only format I will use. It
> might well be the case that a NTPv4 specification will never become a
> full standard unless somebody else does the conversion. Thus, there is
> no excuse to avoid deploying NTPv4 on the basis of standard.

Well, what may be the case is that in the absence of Postel ASCII,
NTPv4 may never become a full standard ("full stop"), and therefore
not be treated as a standard.

I'd like to see it deployed, standard RFC or no, but I'm not the one
that determines this.  It's presumably some bureucrat type to whom
your comments aren't worth anything because they don't carry some
bureaucratic seal of approval.  "IETF approved?  No?  Then we can't
run it."

We'd have to wait until the level of respect for the IETF fades
sufficiently that I'd have some other concerns...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lisp.html