[ntp:questions] Re: bc637PCI-U Reference Clock Driver

Greg hupfg at cctcorp.com
Tue Apr 26 18:55:21 UTC 2005

Thanks, I did find quite a few 'related' postings, but it does seem that you are
correct and this particular PCI card is just not supported.

Note that the bc635/637PCI-U cards are 'new' Symmetricom versions of the legacy
Datum/Bancomm timing cards, while the GPS-PCI/PCI-SG are replacements for the
legacy TrueTime 560 cards. Although the old tt560 had refclock support at one
time, it is not clear if this also supported the old Datum/Bancomm PCI cards.

We do like the card, so unless someone else already did it (hello Symmetricom),
we'll probably go ahead and develop a Linux ntpd refclock driver for it. The
vendor sells a Linux SDK that seems to provide everything necessary to access
the device. They also seem to be actively marketing this new universal-PCI
version of the card so hopefully it will be around for awhile.