[ntp:questions] Re: PCI add on oscillator

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 17:47:06 UTC 2005

Joshua Coombs wrote:

> Given standard pc clocks are less than ideal, with wide drift, etc,
> does anyone make a good quality oscillator as an add in, say via PCI?
> Ideally something NTP could discipline, so one could build a PC that
> could serve reliable time for more than 5 mins if external time
> sources became unavailable.  I believe I read an article by PHK where
> he built one for test purposes, the discussion of 500ns accuracy got
> me thinking about it again.
>
> Joshua Coombs

Symmetricom may still make such a thing.   The BC637PCI that has been
mentioned recently here was such a device.  ISTR that Symmetricom's web
site said something about the card being "End of Life" but others here
believe that there is a replacement.

I believe that Meinberg also makes PCI based clock cards.

You will need to contact Symmetricom and Meinberg and ask for the
details.  Don't be surprised if they are expensive.  The better the
specs, the more expensive they will be!!!  The BC637PCI originally sold
for more than $3000 US!