[ntp:questions] Re: Seeking some assistance in downloading ...............

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 20:37:18 UTC 2005

In article <1114718953.425081.271040 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"ldxrunner" <Charlien3vuo at gmail.com> wrote:

> periodic time adjustments, on to this machine, from the Royal
> Observatory in Greenwich UK. Thank you for your time and your

The Royal Observatory hasn't been in Greenwich for a very long time.
Also the UK quasi-governmental organisation responsible for providing time
standards is the National Physical Laboratory, not the Royal Observatory.

There was some sort of misguided PR exercise around 2000/2001 in which the
Royal Observatory provided a way of finding NTP servers, but it operated
none of them.  I'd be surprised if the Royal Observatory operates any
public NTP server, or any other public time server, even now.

> consideration in this subject matter.

Could you please specify your real requirements and any constraints
(e.g. Windows only, or Windows only with no option of using a proper
NTP service).

If you have any modern Unix or Linux you should not need to download
anything.  If you have Windows 2000 upwards (including XP) and don't
mind a poor quality implementation, you may not need to download
anything, although you would be advised to follow the links at www.ntp.org
for any NT version of Windows (NT 3.5, 4, Win 2000, Win 2003, XP) and
obtain a proper implementation.   (NB look at links, rather than downloads
if you want the NT version - webmaster please note that failing to
put the Windows version first and on downloads is likely to result in
lots of confused Windows users.)