[ntp:questions] Re: serial driver with time stamping please...

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Apr 29 20:54:14 UTC 2005

Monica,

If I read your message literally, and knowing exact measurement and
interpretation are German specialties, I offer the literal answer. In
the NTP distribution are two driver add-ons that capture the system time
when one of a set of selected characters appear in the data stream and
insert the time value in the data stream itself. One of them works as a
line discipline, the other as a streams driver. So far as I can
contribute, they last operated in SunOS 4.1.3, but might have legs for
modern systems.

I doubt these would be useful with those GPS receivers known to me, as
the serial timecode has high jitter. The usual solution is to use the
PPS signal as the primary reference and the serial timecode only to
number the seconds.

Dave