[ntp:questions] ntpd frequency calculation

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Aug 3 22:32:01 UTC 2005

At 3:09 PM -0700 2005-08-03, oye ogun wrote:

>  i have written a script to start and end ntpd and i
>  used cron to shedule how often i want it done.

	I'm confused.  Why would you want to programmatically stop and
start ntpd, and why would you want that in cron?

	I can understand starting ntpd as soon as the machine is running,
and stopping it during the shutdown process, and even monitoring it
to see if it's running correctly so that it can be restarted if
necessary.

	But I'm having a real hard time understading why you would want
to do what you've described.

>                                            could
>  someone please informed me of a link that gives
>  details calculation on how ntpd calculates the
>  frequency offset.

	Why not just let ntpd calculate that value and store it in the file?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755