[ntp:questions] ntpd frequency calculation

oye ogun oye_17 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 11:26:55 UTC 2005

i am working on a project where i want to use ntpd to
automatically recalibrate the output of a frequency
oscillator, so as to maintain a stable output
frequency. on this project the time is really not an
issue (except to confirm that ntpd is working
properly). the whole picture is to achieve frequency
synchronization of various frequency sources
(oscillators) distributed over a network.

the original design was to compare the difference
between ntpd time and the local oscillator time ( via
counters etc) and apply a correcting voltage to the
voltage controlled oscillator. however, as ntpd is
capable of calculating the offset of the oscillator so
that it could use this valve each time it starts
up,(to adjust the frequency), why introduce additional
latencies in operation by adding external circuits.
why not use the calculated valve to recalibrate the
oscilator at the required time periodically). if i
leave ntpd running it will continuously update the
driftfile. i dont want this to happen as a different
valve will change the tuning value.i want to maintain
a value.

the drift pattern of most VCO can be obtained from the
data sheet and from free run. i want to study how ntpd
calculates  the frequency upset.starting and stopping
ntpd periodically is to try to make use of its
frequency correction facility and not necessary the
time facility.