[ntp:questions] Effects of server processing time variations...

Som Naderi snaderi at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Aug 4 17:56:35 UTC 2005

Group,

Hello all. I have a question:

What effects do server processing time variations have on NTP's ability to
maintain time synchronization?

If the processing time between T2 and T3 (server receives packet [T2],
processes, server sends packet [T3]) varies, let's say, randomly up to a
second, how will this negatively impact NTP?

As far as I understand, ideally speaking (T1-T4 RTT equations) there
shouldn't be any impact.  I'm interested in hearing even the minutiae of
issues as it pertains to NTP and the algorithms it uses.

Thanks for the help!

- Som

Som Naderi
SPAWAR Systems Center, San Diego