[ntp:questions] Re: zone source file syntax

Ben Fitzgerald bmf1DELETE at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 09:17:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:41:41 +0200, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "Ben Fitzgerald" <bmf1DELETE at ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:slrndffnmh.2jb.bmf1DELETE at localhost.localdomain...
>
><timezone source>
>

>> As I understand it the last line of the zone means that for the present
>> day the EU rules should be used and that London's offset from GMT is 0.
>>
>> The EU rules state:
>> on the last Sun of March at 01:00UTC add one hour.
>> on the last Sun of October at 01:00UTC do nothing.
>>
>> It's the last part I don't get. I'd expect to see -1:00 here. My grasp
>> of this is clearly not quite right. Can help explain this?
>
> Isn't the offset _set_, instead of added? (Just guessing.)

yes, that does make more sense to me. I had thought this but the solaris
man page for zic states:

     SAVE  Gives the amount of time to be added to local standard
     time  when  the  rule is in effect. This field has the
     same format as the AT field (without the w and s suffixes).

That's why I was expecting a 1 and a -1.

Thanks,

ben.

ps anyone know where I can get the linux timezone source
files from?  Is there one approved source?

--
Registered Linux user number 339435