[ntp:questions] Re: OT: zone source file syntax

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Aug 9 12:00:22 UTC 2005

Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:57:56 +0200, mike
> <michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>>   Unix expects to have its clock running UTC (aka GMT) so the rules are
>>ok. The library calls do the add/subtract/do-nothing as required.
>

> hi mike,
>
> I am sure the rules are ok. I just don't understand them! The first says
> add an hour, then the second says add 0? But the clocks go back in
> winter. Can you please explain this rule:
>

>>>Rule    EU   1996  max     -       Oct     lastSun  1:00u  0    -
>

> Apologies for labouring this but I want to comprehend it.

I think it is pretty obvious:

Each rule applies 'until further notice', so the rule to add zero means
that after the last sunday in october, you should no longer add an hour.

I.e. the rules don't accumulate, they all start from zero (or the
default time zone offset).

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>