[ntp:questions] Re: Problem with NTP not keeping clock in sync under Ubuntu linux

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 12:48:31 UTC 2005

In article <ddcse9$ha3$1 at godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>,
Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:

> I am having problems getting NTP to take effect. My computer has a very
> fast clock (about 10 mins per day) and NTP seems to have no effect,
> though superficially appears to be work. Any ideas how to make ntp keep
> my clock in sync?

Replace the motherboard.  A motherboad that is gaining that much is likely to
have an oscillator that isn't being disciplined by the crystal and therefore
will not keep reliable time at all.

There is, however, in the reference ntpd software, a utility called tickadj
that on most Unices and on Linux will allow you to set the nominal number of
ticks per second, often giving an effective resolution of 100ppm and allowing
a clock that is stable, but has a high static frequency error, to be
set well within the 500ppm capture range for NTP.

You should not be using tinker without a thorough understanding of
what you are doing, and I repeat it is unlikely that the clock will
be stable if it is that far out.