[ntp:questions] Re: no more leap seconds?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Aug 11 06:56:47 UTC 2005

"Thomas A. Horsley" <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote in message
news:uacjp5p9a.fsf at att.net...

> If both time systems are readily available on computers and you still
> argue
> UTC should change, then what you are really arguing is that all the
> programmers working on all these critical apps are too stupid to make the
> right choice, and if you have such stupid programmers working on this
> stuff,
> you have bigger problems than leap seconds :-).

    Well, the facts are:

    1) A lot of current systems can't properly handle leap seconds.

    2) Those systems will have to be redesigned by 2038 anyway.

    What I advocated in 1998 when people were talking about the Y2K problem
was a new time standard for computers that wouldn't break in 2038 and could
properly handle leap seconds. However, on most current operating systems,
it's impossible even today to build code that will work in 2070.

    DS