[ntp:questions] Re: Synchronisation lost with swisstime.ethz.ch

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Aug 11 14:30:13 UTC 2005

Frank,

frank.olsen at steria.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since a week ago, we've got serious problems with our NTP
> configuration. There are regular _steps_ of say +2 seconds, or -2, or
> +4, etc. This causes a serious problem with jobs on our ERP failing
> because they use timestamps and the ERP find timestamps dating in the
> past...
>
> The configuration is bascially on of the servers (all running HP-UX
> 11.00), that synhronise to an external server (swisstime.ethz.ch). This
> server does a broadcast on the local subnet. In addition each of the
> other servers also do broadcasts and have each other defined as peers.
[...]

This is a problem of the NTP server at swisstime.ethz.ch. In a private mail
it has turned out that this is the same server as reported by Eugen COCA in
the thread "Stratum 1 ntp problems" of 2005-08-05, msg ID
1123254398.718614.132610 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com

This substantiates why it's a good idea to use 3 or better 4 NTP servers as
reference time sources. If you had done so your clients would have
determined that this NTP server is currently a false ticker and had
dicarded it.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki