[ntp:questions] Re: no more leap seconds?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Aug 12 02:59:22 UTC 2005

David,

I have no problem with (1). I misread (2) as 2036, not 2038. The white
papers show there will be no problem with the NTP rollover in 2036.

Just for kicks I peeked at the timespec.h in Solaris and found it uses
longs (64 bit) fields. I would expect lots of little things will break
in 2038, but it might not be as desperate as we think. By 2038 NTP will
be in era 1, but this should be transparent as long as Unix time is in
the correct era as well. The reasoning and related calculations are in
the white papers.

Dave