[ntp:questions] Re: Spectracom 8170 question..

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Aug 12 18:01:58 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:

> Philip,
>
> Schematics are at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/8170/. You
> can find the DIPswitch, eyeball the component ID and go find it on the
> board. Send it T to wake it up. The * means it's not synchronized. I
> hope you got the antenna/preamp; it doesn't work without it. Also be
> aware the heavier UPSes produce so much RFI that we have had to stand
> down both of our 8170s.

I've used the Spectracom 81xx series receivers without their
antenna/preamp combination, with good results.  In particular, I've used
a voltage-probe active antenna (the "AMRAD Active Antenna", written up
in the Amateur journal "QST" three or four years ago -- don't have the
reference handy) and it worked just fine.  Because the Spectracom puts
12VDC on the antenna line to drive its preamp, you do need a DC block if
you're going to use a different antenna configuration.

I think you do need something beyond a random hunk of wire, or a small
passive loop, but unlike some devices (e.g., the TrueTime GOES receiver)
there's no magic in the antenna unit beyond a basic preamplifier.

John