[ntp:questions] Re: NTPD on Windows NT4

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 08:33:49 UTC 2005

In article <Mj4Le.31388$d5.184732 at newsb.telia.net>,
Anders <anders.REMOVETHIS.r1f.ANDTHIS at tele2.se> wrote:

> I tried fartein.ifi.uio.no and it reads like this:

I would avoid that server.

>  swisstime.ee.et LOCAL(0)        13 u  976 1024  377   63.230  -1998.8 16.680

It is using a well known, long standing, broken server.  Indicating that
it is not being properly managed.  In turn, that broken server has a local
clock configured, which is something you should not do if you are a low
stratum public server, or a source for one.

> *chronos.cru.fr  .GPS.            1 u  217  512  377   64.610    1.839 1.570

Even the delay for its current upstream server is rather high.

> *LOCAL(1)        LOCAL(1)        12 l    1   64   17    0.000    0.000 0.008

You should only consider configuring a local clock if you serve time to
other machines (and only do so locally).  As you are using Windows, and
Windows is a poor choice for an NTP server, you shouldn't really expect
to have local clocks configured on Windows.  Note that the frequency
correction will be maintained without this being configured.

Others have said that the problem is a known bug.  If they hadn't, I
would have suggested that DNS wasn't up at the time ntpd tried to
resolve the server addresses.