[ntp:questions] Re: which 2.6 linux PPS API for oncore modules??

mike michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr
Sat Aug 13 19:40:52 UTC 2005

Ulrich Windl wrote:
> mike <michael.no.spam.cook at wanadoo.fr> writes:
>

>>Paul.Croome at softwareag.com wrote:
>>
>>>Mike,
>>>The configure output "checking for ONCORE Motorola VP/UT Oncore GPS...
>>>no"
>>>indicates that something is not OK.
>>>Did you run ./configure --enable-ONCORE ? If you don't specify
>>>--enable-ONCORE,
>>>a dummy stub refclock_oncore.o is compiled. You certainly should not
>>>have to
>>>define CLOCK_ONCORE by hand.
>>>Paul
>>>

>>Yes I had configured as suggested. I think the problem is that I have no
>>PPSAPI support (2.6). I am investigating that.
>

> Linux-2.6 without patch has no PPS API (AFAIK). There is a patch that does
> implement a basic PPS API only (no new kernel clock).
>
> Ulrich

Thanks Ulrich,
  I managed to get it working after some massaging of the code, only to
be defeated by my hardware. I am not getting a clean pps signal. The
hardware interfaces correctly with the WinOncore12 utility in XP, so I
think it is my archaic celeron smp config which is at fault.

I booted from 2.4.x with ntp 4.1.1 and see that the jitter is unacceptable.
Looks like it's time to change PC.