[ntp:questions] Re: sendto(1.2.3.4): Invalid argument

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 19:55:52 UTC 2005

In article <6ehkdd.mjj.ln at barnabe.home.fr>, Edrusb <edrusba at free.fr> wrote:

> the outgoing IP packets have their IP source field set by the system in
> any way I guess, even when sending from a wildcard socket.

But too late to be included in the message authentication code, so the
packets will have an invalid authentication code and will be rejected
by an authenticating client.

> Thanks for the idea, but public servers still have static IP address :-)
> masquerading them would not help :-/

It is the client address that will be masqueraded.

> I guess, the best solution waiting for next ntpd release, as described
> by Steve Kostecke, is to have my local ntpd server for my local network
> be "inside" the network without any dynamic IP address.

Note that I believe that the proposed solution is to either periodically
scan for new interfaces or to scan when a server fails.