[ntp:questions] ntpd without binding?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Aug 14 03:27:08 UTC 2005

t_pascal at my-deja.com wrote:
> Using ntp-4.1.2 on RedHat ES 3, I'd like to configure a "client only"
> ntp system.  Easy enough to edit ntp.conf, but I'm trying to get ntpd
> to stop listening on port 123 (blocked by iptables anyway).  Any way to
> stop binding to interfaces, or select which (internal) interface I want
> to listen only?

Well I implemented an option to specify which interface to listen on,
but it will bind all other the others anyway but drop any packets it
receives on those interfaces. It will always listen on the loopback
addresses so you can do local queries. It's in the latest development
builds. -L eth0 is the command line option but I believe that the letter
will be changed.

Danny