[ntp:questions] Re: Re: NTPD on Windows NT4

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sun Aug 14 08:24:45 UTC 2005

Danny Mayer wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> []
>>
>>> Please note 4.2.0 is the current stable release, but all of the
>>> developer versions of NTP are also labelled 4.2.0something, where
>>> "something" refers to a patch level, or date.
>>>
>>> Terje's ntp-4.2.0-2003-12-01-nt.zip seems to have been built from
>>> the developer source as of December 2003, while the GUI download
>>> version the OP has been using is ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1354 which is from
>>> April 2005. The bug which have been observed under Windows NT has been
>>> introduced in the developer code after Terje's binaries had been
>>> build. They should be fixed in the nest release version which is
>>> expected in the near future.
>>

>> Thanks, Martin.  I wanted to understand why I didn't have the problem
>> here, and I am now pleased I didn't upgrade past 4.2.0.
>>

> But I'd be interested in the results of testing this on your NT 4.0
> machine as a short experiment.
>
> Danny

Danny,

My main NT4 PC is in production, so I can't alter that.

I fired up a backup PC which has NT4 SP5 and the Meinberg installed
version would only get as far as trying to start the service.  Therefore I
went back to my older version.

- using the Terje Mathisen V4.2.0 release, with the ntpd.conf file
generated by the failed Meinberg installation, NTP would see all the
configured remote servers

- using either the ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1354-o-win32-setup.exe or
ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1370-o-win32-setup.exe from Meinberg, the setup failed at the
point where it tried to install the service, however...

- I could use the instsrv.exe from Terje's release to install the Meinberg
version, but both versions failed to see the external servers.  The local
clock (at stratum 12) could be seen OK.  This is using the command:
 ntpq -p

- I think both Meinberg versions contain the same .exe files - the 1370
.exe files appear to be dated.

- I've just realised that there is a more recent Meinberg version -
ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1397beta-o-win32-setup.exe - and installing that just in
"upgrade the files" mode results in files dated June 2005 and, more
importantly, the remote servers can now be seen.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
David