[ntp:questions] Re: Comparing offset of multiple refclock/servers

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Aug 15 16:07:46 UTC 2005

>Thanks, Hal, for the response to both my messages.  I think a lightbulb
>went off as a result -- for this application, where I want to measure
>the performance of the refclock in isolation, I *don't* want to include
>a bunch of servers, but rather give ntpd the very limited choice of just
>the serial data stream (to provide the coarse timecode) and the PPS
>signal.  That, plus using the "noselect" option may give me the answers
>I'm looking for.

Sounds good to me.

Another trick for your collection... You can make a Y on the
RS-232 cables so a second box can listen to a local clock.
(Only one side gets to talk to the clock, but both can hear it.)
It works just fine - the listen-only side hears the responses
from the side that talks.  At least as long as the other system is
running ntpd.

You can also use a scope to check the timing. :)