[ntp:questions] Re: sendto(1.2.3.4): Invalid argument

Edrusb edrusba at free.fr
Mon Aug 15 20:44:04 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 8:55 PM +0100 2005-08-13, David Woolley wrote:
>
>>>  I guess, the best solution waiting for next ntpd release, as described
>>>  by Steve Kostecke, is to have my local ntpd server for my local network
>>>  be "inside" the network without any dynamic IP address.
>>

>>  Note that I believe that the proposed solution is to either periodically
>>  scan for new interfaces or to scan when a server fails.
>

>     Personally, I think you probably need to do both.  You need to
> periodically rescan the interfaces, in case a new interface has been
> added but no old ones have gone away, and you need to also detect when
> old ones have disappeared.

Detecting when an old interface has "disappeared" should be possible
looking at the errno global variable when sendto() system call returns
an error (errno = EINVAL). And I guess, like Bind does, a periodic
interface scanning plus an "on event" scanning (when sendto() returns an
error) should be "large" enough to address this problem?

Regards,
Denis.