[ntp:questions] polling algorithm

Klas Bengtsson klasbengtsson99 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 08:34:54 UTC 2005

Hi all!

Anyone out there who can describe how the polling algorithm for NTP works?

My problem is that when the poll interval is 1024 seconds and I suddenly
lose synchronisation for some reason, I would expect the NTP server to
decrease the polling interval back to 64 seconds again, but it does not.
That means that even if the reason for the synchronisation loss is fixed I
have to wait up til 17 minutes before I get the synchronisation back again.

Is this how it is supposed to work?
What makes the polling interval decrease again once it has reached 1024
seconds?
Where can I find information about how the polling algorithm works?

BR,
Klas