[ntp:questions] Re: Time sync for WinNT4

Tom Smith smith at cag.lkg.hp.com
Fri Aug 26 15:16:09 UTC 2005

Johnson Luqaz wrote:
> Dear Sir, thanks for your reply.
>
> We have 800 desktops.  Installing NTP4 from Meinberg requires manual
> intervention and the last step of course is creating the user account ntp:
>
> We have CA Software Delivery for software delivery to desktops.
> However,  I doubt it can handle the manual steps described above.

If your client desktops are not very demanding with regard to
time synchronization - that is, if you're only concerned about
getting "reasonable" dates and times on Word documents and
Powerpoint presentations - you can use the W32time SNTP
client supplied with Windows. (On WinXP, see
Control Panel|Date and Time|Internet Time). You wouldn't want
to do this for servers or any clients that have strict time
synchronization or reporting requirements, and you may have
to make some adjustments to the ntpd configuration on your
real time servers to allow the client queries to succeed
(e.g., you may have to omit "nopeer" from the restrict options
and you may need to add "disable auth", depending on the clients).

-Tom