[ntp:questions] Re: HP 58503A howto?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Aug 29 14:32:55 UTC 2005

In article <BF37A360.15721%dnewman at networktest.com>,
 dnewman at networktest.com (David Newman) writes:
>Greetings. I have recently come into possession of an HP 58503A GPS receiver
>and would like to use it as a reference clock for servers running ntpd on
>FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x and OpenBSD 3.x.

>Are there any howto or other documents for setting up this particular
>receiver?

I don't know of a HOWTO type document for that specific device.

There is a driver for it, so it shouldn't be very hard.  First you
have to get a normal NTP server running, then add your GPS clock.

You need to add something like this in your ntp.conf:

server 127.127.26.1 prefer ttl 1       # Z3801A (hack)
fudge  127.127.26.1 time1 -0.967

server 127.127.22.1                    # PPS driver: /dev/pps<n>
fudge  127.127.22.1 flag2 1            # falling edge

You want to leave out the "ttl 1" part - that's a hack telling
the driver to use a different serial port configuration.
You will have to adjust the number on the second line to
get the right answer on your system.