[ntp:questions] Re: Time sync for WinNT4

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Aug 30 13:39:27 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Johnson Luqaz wrote:
>
>>I don't know enough about ntp from meinberg...
>>
>>Can we install and run ntpd from a command line without any fancy
>>installation programs / routines.  Something like;
>>
>>c:\program files\ntp\ntpd ntp.your.domain
>>
>>thanks.
>

> You could try the NTP binaries compiled by Terje Mathisen, see under "NTP
> Ports" at:
> http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/ExternalTimeRelatedLinks
>
> The ZIP files contain a instsrv.exe command line tool which creates the NTP
> service under Windows. You may additionally have to copy the other binaries
> and the ntp.conf file to the right places, but that should be straight
> forward using an installation script.
>
> The binaries should run under WinNT/2k/XP.

This should indeed work well, you can reduce the installation script to
batch file that copies the required files (NTP*.EXE and NTP.CONF) to
where you want them, then runs the INSTSRV.EXE program to install
NTPD.EXE as a service.

That's all that's actually needed unless you want to play around with
more esoteric options, but it seems like your priority is on a very
simple, totally automatic, rollout.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>