[ntp:questions] Re: Z3801 Leapsecond bug - Sep 30?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed Aug 31 07:11:18 UTC 2005

Thanks for the heads-up.  I wonder how many other systems have
a similar problem.

>Is there a fix for this bug, maybe new firmware from HP?  How did the
>bug happen, by announcing a leapsecond more than three months in
>advance maybe?

I'd be very surprised if new firmware is available.

Many of these systems are available cheap/surplus.  I think they
used to be used in cell phone base stations and I assume they
have been replaced by something better.

Anybody know if any are still in use at cell phone sites?
Maybe this is why they are suprlus.

Note that there are two pieces of firmware in there.  One is
the GPS module by Motorola.  The other is a typical imbedded
CPU with HP software.  Motorola is getting out of the GPS
business.  HP sold that business to Spectracom.