[ntp:questions] Inforamtion required

SivaKumar Subramani ssubrama at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Tue Aug 30 12:31:50 UTC 2005

I'm happy to be part of the NTP group and now started using NTP daemon
for our usage.

We have downloaded the NTP source 3.5-93e and compiled for solaris8
version and we would like to have some clarification on the below
mentioned point  can anyone help us to resolve this.

1. We use NTP daemon as client and for synchronize the time with our
machine and NOT to provide any time services. If the time diff between
our system to timeserver is too large the daemon comes out and issues a
log message as "offset : -19698 is too large set clock manually". Our
system shall always run with local timezone, this can't be able to
modify. Is there any way to avoid this through conf command.

2. Is it possible to AVOID the NTP to set my local system time, is there
any alternative to run my clock without disturbing the system clock.
We'll be using this time information to forward to someother client, who
shall maintain the TOD.

Now we are using the NTP daemon by compromising the above two points.

Pl suggest some alternative approach to solve the above mentioned
problems.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Sivakumar