[ntp:questions] Re: Inforamtion required

Tom Einertson tome at siemens-emis.com
Wed Aug 31 17:58:31 UTC 2005

"SivaKumar Subramani" <ssubrama at ssd.usa.alcatel.com> wrote in message
news:431451B6.5F20CADC at ssd.usa.alcatel.com...

> 1. We use NTP daemon as client and for synchronize the time with our
> machine and NOT to provide any time services. If the time diff between
> our system to timeserver is too large the daemon comes out and issues a
> log message as "offset : -19698 is too large set clock manually". Our
> system shall always run with local timezone, this can't be able to
> modify. Is there any way to avoid this through conf command.

NTP won't synch if the difference between the client and the server is
too great.  You might try passing the -g command line argument to the
NTP daemon when you start it.  This makes the daemon more tolerant of
bad initial times.

> 2. Is it possible to AVOID the NTP to set my local system time, is there
> any alternative to run my clock without disturbing the system clock.
> We'll be using this time information to forward to someother client, who
> shall maintain the TOD.

If I understand you correctly, you want to run NTP on one of your systems
so that it can provide time to a different client computer, but you don't
want NTP to change the time on that system.  If that's what you want to
do, I believe you can accomplish that by using the 'disable pll' command in
your config file.  That tells NTP not to set the clock on the local machine.
You will also need to configure the local clock as a time source for NTP.
I assume you have already done that.