[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot configure ntp with pool

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Fri Dec 2 01:11:13 UTC 2005

John A. Bailo wrote:

> I am unable to get synchronization with my ntpd daemon and the ntp
> server pool.  I was able to get an initial sync to 0.pool.ntp.org using
>
> [root at IVNWMAIL root]# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
>                             1 Dec 16:30:13 ntpdate[8168]: adjust time
> server 202.135.38.18 offset 0.089741 sec
>
> and nmap -sU tells me the UPD port 123 is open.
>
> Does anyone have it working and can help with my configuration?

[snip]

Sounds like a reachability problem as it's very improbable that four
different pool servers will be down at once.  You might want to pick a
sub pool that's close to use (e.g. us.pool.ntp.org) but that won't
help this problem.   My guess is a firewall issue at your end (either
packets are not getting out or the reply is not getting back in).

John