[ntp:questions] Re: Cannot configure ntp with pool

Olivier olivierwarez at netscape.net
Fri Dec 2 18:31:23 UTC 2005

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> John A. Bailo wrote:
>

>> I am unable to get synchronization with my ntpd daemon and the ntp
>> server pool.  I was able to get an initial sync to 0.pool.ntp.org using
>>
>> [root at IVNWMAIL root]# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
>>                             1 Dec 16:30:13 ntpdate[8168]: adjust time
>> server 202.135.38.18 offset 0.089741 sec
>>
>> and nmap -sU tells me the UPD port 123 is open.
>>
>> Does anyone have it working and can help with my configuration?

Yes, forget about the pool, it will just never work because the
ipaddresses on the other side are always changing.

Just put these 2 lines:
in your ntp.conf file, instead of the "pool" servers garbage:
# --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
restrict 66.187.224.4
server 66.187.224.4

then restart ntpd, wait a few minute, run ntptrace
and be happy

Olivier