[ntp:questions] Advice appreciated on ntp.conf files, etc

cave.dnb@tiscali.fr cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 2 17:50:46 UTC 2005

Hi. At last. Having read multiple times the docs, and viewed all the postings to the list over the last 2 weeks, I am once again
attempting to post to the list, this time by webmail, as SORBS have DNS servers blocked te the mailing list.I'd like some help
in understanding the various ntf.conf default entries for
different distros, and have attached the files for ntpq-output,
and /etc/ntp,conf files for the different distro's below.

Here's the setup.
Smoothwall Express2 firewall going through serial modem, and retrieving time
every 12 hours, I believe by a cron job running ntpdate, accessing multiple
servers, and saving the time to RTC. NTP log verifies that this is working
ok.
Gateway 500 machine with FC1, FC2, and Win ME (which only goes online to get
3rd party security updates). FC1, and FC2, I am using as servers to retrieve
time from the Internet, and to allow the numerous Linux clients that run on
the other machine, along with Win XP (which again only goes online for 3rd
party security updates).
FC1 is using the default /etc/ntp.conf file, unchanged apart from uncommenting
NTP CLIENT line with network address, and changing this to 192.168.0.0.
Fedora also uses an app "System-config-date" . This only allows you to choose
1 server, and all the options seem to be stratum 1 servers, but as they are
installed as default, presume this is ok. FC1 appears to be updating time ok,
as verified in the attached files.
FC2 was a bit more of a problem, as this is the one I started off with. I must
say here that I was trying to get NTP to work booted up with a planetccrma
kernel, but there appear to be some problems with the ntp daemon dying when
logging into KDE. This results in "Services" in the main menu showing
"ntpd dead but pid file exists". Restarting the daemon seems to get everthing
going ok. Booting using the default kernel 2.6.5-1.358 creates no problems,
and NTP starts up and keeps running, just as it should.

ntpd versions on the different distro's:
FC1-server: ntp-4.1.2-5. Driftfile: -26.949
ps auxw output: ntpd -U ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g
FC2-server: ntp-4.2.0-7. Driftfile: -77.194
ps auxw output: ntpd -U ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g
Debian Sarge client: ntp version: 1:4.2.0a , but ntp components individually
installed. ntp (network utilities), ntp-doc, ntp-server, ntp-simple, ntpdate.
Driftfile: -174.119
FC3-client: ntp-4.2.0a.20040617-5.FC3. Driftfile: 0.000 . Nothing unusual
here, as I've just got this working with the default kernel (2.6.9-1.667)
ps auxw output: ntpd -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

Having discovered that booting the client Fedora distro's with the planetccrma
kernel was causing the problem with ntpd dying, this problem is partly
solved, but as I need to use the planetccrma kernels I need to find a
workaround for this.

I would appreciate any help in understanding the various parts of the ntp.conf
files that I can't find any details of in the docs. Especially the stuff that
I've commented out, and marked "#commented out".

Also, ntpq> pe, under refid, shows .INIT. .LOCAL. .STEP. (which sometimes
shows reachable, and othertimes not) , and on the FC1 server that is using
stratum 1 server, refid shows .CDMA. Just what do these abbreviations mean?

All in all, I'm very happy with what I've achieved with NTP, and the time is
pretty much smack-on, but would really appreciate some feedback from my
questions. ntpq-output, and ntp.conf files attached below for the 2 servers,
and some of the clients.

BTW. Regarding the Smoothwall Express2. Now that I've got the ntp daemon
running continually on the server I've lost my updates to the firewall,
presumably cause the ports in use. I havn't been under the hood yet, but if
ntpdate is being run from a cron job, should I just be able to add the -u
flag and then it will ignore the fact that port 123:udp is in use?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback. Nigel.

-------------- ALICE HAUT DEBIT : TRIPLE PLAY A 29,95 EUR/MOIS --------------
Découvrez vite ALICEBOX : avec le modem WIFI, profitez de l'ADSL, de la TELEPHONIE et en exclusivité de la
TELEVISION !
Bénéficiez aussi de la hotline gratuite 24h/24 ! Soumis à conditions. Pour en profiter cliquez ici http://abonnement.aliceadsl.fr