[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Sun Dec 4 15:02:14 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Many thanks for your thoughtful suggestions.
>
> It looks as if the drift is OK, at -64.911, but I will keep an eye on it.
> Here is the full output just in case there's something else glaringly
> obvious:
>
> E:\>ntpq -c "rv 0" odin
> status=46b4 leap_add_sec, sync_ntp, 11 events, event_peer/strat_chg,
> version="ntpd 4.2.0 fr Oct 17 8:49:33 2003 (1)", processor="unknown",
> system="WINDOWS/NT", leap=01, stratum=3, precision=-19,
> rootdelay=62.583, rootdispersion=125.847, peer=62645, refid=192.168.0.1,
> reftime=c73d5d1a.a4d239b4  Sun, Dec  4 2005 12:18:34.643, poll=7,
> clock=c73d5f43.da3d1265  Sun, Dec  4 2005 12:27:47.852, state=4,
> offset=18.583, frequency=-64.911, jitter=10.097, stability=0.028

I guess the good news here is that the offset and frequency are
opposite signs, so it is trying to correct itself. The offset also
seems (at the moment) to be smaller than the worst you've seen in the
last few days. Someone will probably tell you to upgrade to 4.2.0a or b.

I notice that the leap bit is set. Just noting it for anybody
who wants to run with that.

> There were no network changes I am aware of (it's just a small internal
> network, run by me....), and I don't recognise anything significant in the
> way of errors from the netstat command.  I do wonder about:
>
> IPv4 Statistics, Received Address Errors = 2683

These are packets arriving addressed to an address not valid
for this system. Packets addressed to 0.0.0.0 fall into this
slot, as do packets addressed somewhere else and routed via
this system if this system is not, in fact, a router.

> UDP Statistics for IPv4, No Ports = 6006

These are packets arriving for a port at which there is no
listener. Probes for a service that is not running, for example.