[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Sun Dec 4 16:03:38 UTC 2005

Looking at the graphs from the Odin server I wonder how is the offset
measured (relative to what server). The actual behaviour is more
realistic for a "heavy interactive" PC than the old ones (with only
several milliseconds error). A Win2k server with no user interraction
have a 5 to 20 ms offset errors (depending on the network delays, room
temperature (!!!), mains voltage (!!!), and others). With moderate user
interraction the errors are between 30 and 100ms and with heavy user
interractions the errors where sometimes more than 300-800ms. Very
strange, on a Linux Mandrake systems (dual processor, a lot of RAM) on
periods with high CPU loads the offsets where more than 500-800ms.

I'm really interested with your problem and the possible cause !