[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sun Dec 4 17:11:01 UTC 2005

Eugen COCA wrote:
> David,
>
> my advice is to switch to version 4.2.0a / 2005. I had some problems
> with offset and/or jitter with 4.2.0 /2003 version under Win/2k
> server.
>
> The Windows 4.2.0b - Meinberg does not work well for me (the PC hankgs
> up after starting the service).
>
> I made numerous and various tests with NTP on Windows and FreeBSD
> operating systems. On Windows, behaviours like Odin show, where only
> when CPU load was over 80 percent for long periods (e.g. when making
> an Windows Update or when viewing a large PDF file with Acrobat). The
> CPU load may be one possible cause.

Eugen,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I would try a different version of NTP, but this one has been working 100%
correctly until 14:20 On Dec 02, and continues to work on the other
systems.  You can see this from the weekly and monthly plots.  I used to
have poor stability on this system until upgrading to Windows XP SP2, and
others have seen a similar behaviour.  It is as if something undid
whatever change SP2 made.

It's possible that I did upgrade some software - many programs offer to do
that for you on the fly - but I would have thought the system restore
would have fixed that.  I also tried uninstalling QuickTime, as there is a
suggestion that if the multi-media timer is enabled in Windows, that can
cause these problems.  As yet, I haven't found out how to determine
whether the multi-media timer is enabled, and if so, how to disable it.

The CPU load on the system hasn't changed either - it is well under 100%
averaging, perhaps 15-20%.

David