[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation - why?

Johan Swenker no_spam_please at swenker.xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 4 20:19:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:20:41 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

> From the graphs here:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

You did notice the spike on thursday. The reason for that spike could also
be the reason for your current trouble.

When it is not the computer that is causing the trouble, I would say it is
the network. Possible reasons could be:
* a half duplex device is talking to a full duplex device;
* a switch that is nearly dead or equally a nearly dead network interface
card;
* an overloaded network link;
* badly inserted RJ45 connectors (just replug them all).

Hope this new direction leads you to the solution of ypour problem.

> you can click on a PC and see the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly
> summaries.
>
> Odin, until just after lunch on Friday, was fine.  It can't have been
> the introduction of the leap-second bit, can it?  I don't know how long
> that bit has been there.
>
> Yes, I would love to know what the problem is as well!
>
> David

Johan