[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping - sudden degradation- why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 5 10:48:32 UTC 2005

Eugen COCA wrote:
> Here is the 4.2.0.a 2005 version from Meinberg, installed with just
> the modified files. Copy over the ntp directory and restart the NTP
> service. It is not necessary to reboot the machine.
>
> http://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/ntp_4.2.0a.zip
>
> Just type at the command prompt "net stop ntp", copy the files and
> then "net start ntp" and it's done.
>
> I guarantee for this files. You may find two ntpdc.exe files
> (renamed), an orriginal one (not working so good) and the one from
> norloff, working pretty well.

Oh, that is kind of you. Eugen.

I actually just installed Meinberg 1370 release onto a completely separate
test PC, and extracted the ntpd.exe file (and the other .exe files) into a
Zip archive, and then replaced the old ntpd.exe on my system as you
described (except I used the graphical Services manager).  It's working
OK, but seems to be doing a lot more clock-hopping than before.  The
"prefer" is still set.

Interestingly, in your archive the ntpd.exe is dated 2005 Apr 07, in the
1370 download from Meinberg the file is dated 2005 Apr 12.  Both files are
192,512 bytes, but they are different.....

I expect Meinberg would like to know of the problems with their version of
the ntpdc.exe program.

As a matter of interest, I'm not using the SSL stuff (as fas as I know),
but the file I have are from Terje's archive (I think):

ssleay32.dll
  159,744 bytes, 2003 June 04, no version number

libeay32.dll
  827,392 bytes, 2003 Jun 04, no version number

[Why don't people add version numbers to executable and DLL files when the
facility is provided within Windows?]

Thanks,
David